Crossway North Craigieburn


  Our Story
  Where it all began...    


HomearrowGet AcquaintedarrowGet Discovering


Crossway North's History

        We meet at Willmott Park Primary School Craigieburn       

Back in early 2006 Brett & Michelle Mitchell and their three children Keshia, Jemmah and Jarrod, sensed God's call to explore the possibilitiy of starting a Growth Group in Craigieburn and beginning an 'Outreach' into the area with the hope of birthing a new Church sometime throughout the latter part of '07.

They began approaching people they knew, and others within the Craigieburn area, and the initial group of interested people met together for the first time at Ted and Dianne King's home on October 19th 2006.

The Growth Group met together another couple of times in late 2006 and began meeting together on a regular basis in early 2007. Goals were established for this new work and a group of over 160 prayer intercessors were also recruited to support this new work.

The first time we 'connected' with the local community was at the Craigieburn Festival. 145 'Community Survey questionanaires' were filled out by passers-by.

We followed up with Outreach with a personal invitation to all our new contacts to a 'Fabulous Free Family Fun Feast' on Easter Sunday. On Mothers Day '07 we handed out chocolates and information about Crossway North at the local Shopping Centre and began getting prepared for the launch of our public service on July 29th 2007 at Willmott Park Primary School, Craigieburn.

We moved from Willmott Park Primary School late in 2013, to our current venue on Hume Highway, and now enjoy having our own building which is home to our Church Office, Youth Group, Kid's Church, Group Meetings, Playgroups and Community Groups such as P.O.K.I.T.S.

Today we are an established part of the Craigieburn community and enjoy being part of a growing, diverse congregation of various ages and stages of life from a variety of backgrounds. Come and visit us at 7/334 Hume Hwy, Craigieburn!

  

Crossway's History

The first Baptist churches came into being in Europe over 400 years ago as part of the Reformation movement which swept that continent.
We stood for:
- Freedom of worship according to one's own conscience
- Baptism of believers only
- Each believer's direct access to God
- Liberty
- Voluntary association of believers, etc.
These beliefs and practices were regarded as so radical at the time that many who held them were martyred.

The first Baptists came to Australia in 1831. Today there are about 65,000 members in Baptist churches in Australia and many more adherents. Each local church is autonomously self-governing. We voluntarily link together with other churches to form a Baptist Union in each state, which in turn forms the Baptist Union of Australia. We have fraternal links through the Baptist World Alliance with almost 40 million others of our worldwide family, which exists in most of the countries of the world. We are a part of God's total worldwide family, which now numbers 3.1 billion.

Local Family Beginnings In November 1949 when the suburb of Blackburn was mostly bush, apple and pear orchards, interconnected with dirt tracks, Mr C.E. Burden of the Bush Sunday School Union of Victoria visited the area. At his invitation, Mr R.W. Jones established a lively Sunday School in the area. On August 3, 1952, adults met for a worship service in Blackburn South Primary School, which was at the corner of Branksome Grove and Canterbury Road. On September 16, 1952, in the home of Mr Press at 2 Lavelle Street, Blackburn, it was agreed to form a Baptist Fellowship. The children of the Bush Sunday School and the worshipping adults became the foundation of the new fellowship. With encouragement and support from the Victorian Baptist Home Missionary Society and others, a hall was erected at the corner of Canterbury and Holland Roads on two blocks of land, which had been purchased in August 1950 by the Baptist Home Missionary Society for such a purpose. The new hall was opened on April 24, 1954 and at the fellowship's first business meeting in June 1954, the Church was officially constituted. Rev J.H. Newnham, serving part-time, was its first pastor. In 1957 the Church called its first full-time pastor, Rev George Ashworth. In 1962 the Church was relocated to 19 Holland Road to allow for continued growth. The second full-time pastor was Rev David Griffiths (1963 - 1972). He was followed by Rev Rowland Croucher (1973 - 1981). During his time, buildings were extended and a pastoral team was established. The founding Pastor, Stuart Robinson, was called from missionary work in Bangladesh and joined the pastoral team in January 1983. In 1987 the church planted its first daughter church at Knox, and its second was established in 1990 at Berwick. Also in 1990 the Church purchased new land on the corner of Vision Drive and Springvale Road, Burwood East. Building on the site was completed and the Church relocated to this new property in September 1995. In February 1996, in order to reflect the congregation's regional nature as well as their vision and values, our name was changed from Blackburn Baptist Church to Crossway.